December 22, 2010

My Most Important Tools Aren't In A Box


Share/Bookmark
My most important tools aren't in a box.  An artist's toolbox can consist of state-of-the-art equipment but, when the day is done, the reality is that the tools on the workbench need to be time-tested, efficient, and ready to use at any second for any stage of your creative project.

An artist relies on imagination and creativity in the production of their art but, they also need to have a system that is productive to their method and incorporates their skills and special techniques. They have to have the right tools available for a given task.  They don't have to be high-tech.  They do have to be useful.  They should be proven by you that they have stood the test of time and will always work for you in your situation.

As an artist, you take yourself from idea to reality on a daily basis.  To travel from creative points "A" to "Z" which means that you are aware that many steps are involved in your entire production process.  The steps may include trial and error situations as well.  The important tools that you have to use to make it through your process are the stepping stones to the manufacturing of your artful item.  These tools have to be effective to you or they are rendered useless.  They need to be efficient tools.  They need to be safe, sharp, and they need to do the job easily that you intend for them to do- always.

I don't have a "tool box" full of equipment accumulated that is kept out of sight in storage.  I do however, have tools "on display" of sorts, that are in immediate sight for me to use.  My most important tools aren't stuck in a box waiting for me to pull them out for use.  They are readily available on my design tables.  All of the main tools that I need are placed close at hand for use.  I have cute mugs with inspirational quotes on them holding various paint brushes.  I have a few beaded decorated jars that hold items like small clay tools.  I have rotating shelves and containers of items that I need for almost every task.  I also have a few zipper shut travel size tool pouches that hold and organize my hand tools that I need.  Most items in use also have identical "back-ups" for the times when one is misplaced or needs to be replaced due to over-use.  It is always good to keep tabs on the tools that you have and replace them as needed.

Remember, vital instruments need to be close at hand so that they are utilized and found quickly.  Evaluate your tools often for wear and tear for better efficient use of them.  Make sure that you have plenty of tools so that you are never without and have to compromise for the tools that you heavily rely on as "must haves".  Lastly, don't just collect tools in a tool box.  Use your most important tools for your most important projects- your daily creative outlets!

1 comment:

  1. A very pertinent article. Many can relate to the tools and organization rquired by a TV technician, a Surgeon, a Dentist, and even the local Butcher but most would not have stopped to think about not only the tools required by a craftsperson but as importantly the organizational skills to ensure everything is in order.
    Well written. I will now re-assess my "tools"

    ReplyDelete

www.clubcreativestudio.com